Skip to content
February 18, 2012 / ccollinsonjones1

The dreaded pole

No, there will be no photographs of the class. You may look at this shoe instead.

This class gave me the fear. There’s a pole, there’s dancing; shorts and heels must be worn. In my imagination I would be forced to wear stripper shoes and shiny hot pants on a revolving podium.

Fortunately, the taster class at the Pole Dancing School is a ‘safe environment’. Leave your body issues at the door. Chubby knees and rumpled sportswear welcome.

Like many ‘ladies’ I’ve dabbled with the pole. The tables at Courtyard in Leeds on pound-a-pint night often played host to my drunken form. But the student exhibitionist cider haze is behind me and I’m way too demure for that shit now, so to find a class like this so enjoyable was extremely surprising.

The teaching was brilliant. You learn a few moves individually and, before you know it, you’ve got a whole routine down – from fancy walk all the way through to 360 spin. I remembered all the moves and totally forgot my inhibitions, which rarely happens for me in a dance class.

Go with a friend, prepare for bruising, think dancer not stripper, and you’ll come out feeling all confident and sexy and excitable. My arms woke me up in the night to tell me it also has a great muscle toning effect.

But be warned: this is a dangerous skill to have when drunk. It’s like a hypnosis trigger: from now on, if I have a jager bomb and hear the words “it’s Britney bitch” I can’t be held responsible for what follows.

9 Comments

1. Helen Liz / Feb 18 2012 11:16 am

Sounds intriging, but I can see how a few drinks may well be dangerous. Link didn’t work and I’m not sure I’m brave enough to google for pole dancing – who knows what might appear >:-0

2. Annie Swan / Feb 18 2012 2:16 pm

I absolutely love this! Welcome to the pole community =) besides getting you super string, confident, sexy and amazing, this newfound hobby is almost foolproof to get your significant other onboard for shopping! “but luvver, I NEED thigh high boots with 7″ heels, wait, you don’t think they’re sexy?! Yeah i thought so! Oh thank you baby, you’re the best!” snicker snicker snickity snick

• Annie Swan / Feb 18 2012 2:17 pm

I meant “strong!” was typing while in a descending angel….

• ccollinsonjones1 / Feb 18 2012 7:48 pm

Ha brilliant thank you! I’ll look forward to the boots!

3. daydreamingactress / Feb 18 2012 10:50 pm

Haha, I love your closing sentence. I have wanted to try this out for a while now and I think you’re my final push over the edge- thanks for the post!

• ccollinsonjones1 / Feb 19 2012 8:23 pm

Thank you. Definitely try it – it’s great fun. Still aching though.

4. welshcyclist / Feb 19 2012 10:22 pm

You girls have all the fun!

• ccollinsonjones1 / Feb 19 2012 11:01 pm

Shall I perhaps try to convince them to set up a boys-only class? They just might.